Paarl Boxing Day Track Meet
Africa’s largest and most prestigious track cycling meeting.
The Paarl Boxing Day Track Challenge is the longest running cycling event in the world. This year will be the 122nd staging of the event, which has not skipped a year since its inception in 1897.
The meeting rests in the care of the Paarl Amateur Cycling and Running Club and has been organised by the club since its inception.
The club and its chairman Hein Kroff last year approached Hectic Promotions to assume the responsibility of hosting the event in 2019, 2020 and 2021, which we are absolutely elated with.
It is an honour for Hectic Promotions to be associated with the meeting. To be appointed as designated organiser is a prestigious grant indeed.
Paarl Boxing Day attracts South Africa’s top professionals as well as a host of international riders who tackle each other for a share of the R100 000 prize purse.
The racing caters for age categories ranging from U15 and U17 scholars, women, elite men and veteran cyclists. The meeting attracts a total of more than 5000 spectators annually, filling up the famous Faure Street Stadium in Paarl to near capacity.
The Paarl Boxing Day Meeting is not only the biggest track cycling event in Africa, but also the most spectated in-stadium cycling event on the continent.
We are bringing some of the world’s foremost track cyclists to Paarl to take part in the Paarl Boxing Day Meeting on 26 December 2019.
“BRINGING CYCLING TO THE PEOPLE” is the motto of Paarl Boxing Day. Courtesy of the famous Paarl Boxing Day Meeting Paarl has earned the reputation as hotbed of track cycling and track cycling development in South Africa.
We have secured participation of numerous top international track cyclists who will showcase their talent against the best South African professionals in Paarl.
Our intent, in conjunction with City of Drakenstein and other event partners, is to create a unique and very marketable/ high demand cycling concept to showcase cycling and the City of Paarl. The Paarl Boxing Day Meeting endeavours to:
- Present a world-class spectator focussed cycling event, providing a platform for all income groups and abilities to take part and spectate as well as providing corporates and high net-worth individuals with the opportunity of networking in a VIP environment within the stadium;
- Ensure that the event represents a unique and first-class experience for all participants, sponsors and stakeholders;
- Utilise all parties’ relevant experience, extensive network, social media platforms, marketing capabilities and relationships to entrench the event as a ‘must-see’ for cycling enthusiasts on the annual cycling calendar.
- Develop and utilise opportunities for the sponsors and stakeholders to promote and build their brands, not only during the event, but also in the lead up;
- Allow the sponsors, stakeholders and other corporate entities the opportunity of engaging with clients on a unique and personal level
- Showcase the Western Cape as premier cycling and tourist destination in South Africa.
The Paarl Boxing Day Meeting concludes with the famous 25 Mile Race and the winner of this event is regarded as the winner of the day!
Spectators are left in awe as riders complete 87 laps of the track and tactics that unfold as riders try to gain an advantage during the race, which takes approximately 1 hour to complete.
To view the final four laps of the 2018 edition’s 25 Mile, go to: https://vimeo.com/308677119